When I think of orange cake, I think it’s just the rind and the juice that goes into the cake. So when I came across this recipe, where you use the whole orange with the skin and minus the seeds, I just felt I had to try it out. Oh boy, it did not disappoint!
You will have to follow the steps involved to remove the bitterness from the skin. And that involves in boiling the whole orange, throwing away the water and re-boiling it and you do this 3 times. It truly removes the bitterness and then you grind the orange to a pulp and trust me when I say you must try making this as well.
This orange cake is moist and so very delicious and this recipe is adapted from recipetineats.com and do not disappoint 😉
- Medium oranges – 2, fresh and whole (approx. 600g in total)
- Almond meal – 250 g
- Baking powder – 6g
- Eggs – 6, large
- Sugar – 220 g
- Place oranges in a pot and cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil this for 10 mins and drain the water. Repeat this 2 more times.
- Keep the oranges aside and let it cool.
- Once cool, slice the oranges and dice them, removing any seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Grease and line a cake pan with parchment paper.
- Place the chopped oranges in a food processor and blitz on high until it’s pureed into a marmalade consistency. It’s okay if there are few visible bit of rind remaining.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together the almond meal, baking powder and sugar.
- Next add the eggs and the pureed orange and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake for 60 mins until the surface is golden and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a rack and let it cool completely.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your pics on Instagram and do tag @bakezbyshobz and hashtag it #bakezbyshobz