Hello everyone! I know I have been kinda missing lately and apologies for that. For some reason, December was a busy month but on thinking back, I am not so sure what I was busy with…. ha…. ha.
Anyway, I am kicking this month off with one of my all time favourites – Banana Walnut Bread. I did a couple of trials on this recipe and this really came out well. I love walnuts and I think walnuts go very well with banana bread.
I’ve also done a gluten free version of the Banana Walnut Bread and that too turned out great! So stay tuned for that recipe.
- All-purpose flour – 225 g
- Brown sugar – 120 g
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Oil – 1/2 cup (I used canola oil)
- Sour cream – 1/2 cup, room temperature
- Egg – 2, room temperature
- Banana – 4 small ripe ones, mashed
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Walnuts – 1 cup, coarsely chopped (keep some aside for garnishing)
- Preheat over to 180 degrees C and butter and line a standard loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas using a fork and keep that aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and ground cinnamon (if using) together and keep that aside.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla essence.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Next add the mashed banana and fold in 3/4 of the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer the batter into the loaf pan and smoothen the top and sprinkle the remaining walnuts on top of the batter.
- Loosely cover the pan with aluminium foil and bake for 60 mins. Covering the loaf pan with aluminium foil is to avoid the crack on top of the banana bread.
- Remove the foil after 45 mins.
- Test using a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread and it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool in the loaf pan for about 15 mins then turn over on to a wire rack and let it cool completely.