If this is your first look into my recipes, let me tell you that I am a huge achari fan. Achari means pickled and aloo is potato and so this dish is pickled flavoured potato. My mum is a vegetarian and with all the various achari dishes I had been cooking lately made her want to dish out something similar but with potatoes!
So here is her take on achari potatoes.
P.S. Though my mum had been saying for the longest time about wanting to make aloo achari she added carrots as a second thought and would have added more veggies if only I allowed her….🤣. Sorry Amma 😘
- Potatoes – 3 large
- Carrots – 2 medium (optional)
- Achari masala (*) – 1/2 packet
- Onions – 1 medium chopped
- Tomatoes – 2, cubed
- Oil for frying
(*) easily available from most Indian grocery shops and do not add salt as the masala already has salt in it.
- Pressure cook the potatoes and carrot. Once cool remove the skin of the potatoes and cut them into cubes and the same for the carrots.
- Saute the onions till brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till pulpy.
- Add the achari masala and stir for couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrot and stir well.
- Serve hot with chapatis.
P.S. Alternatively if you choose not to pressure cook the veggies, you may saute the achari masala for couple of minutes after the onions have turned brown. Then add the veggies and cover cooked. When 3/4 cooked add the tomatoes. Fry till all veggies are cooked and remove from stove.