This is the best homemade chilli sauce ever! My mum got this recipe from her sister in India, and as usual my mum made some slight changes to the recipe and of course I too made further changes to it… ha ha ha.
Just make a big batch and you can use it when making fried rice or marinate fish or chicken or even use it as a dip! There are 2 different types of chilli that is used. One is the usual big red chilli and the other is the small red chilli, also known here in Singapore as chilli padi.
Chilli padi means bird’s eye chilli is a popular and common ingredient in Singaporean dishes and is extremely spicy. If you do not want the sauce to be too spicy, then you may reduce the quantity of the chilli padi and just use one instead.
- Fresh red chilli – 8 pieces
- Chilli padi – 4 pieces (more or less depending how spicy you want it)
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp (or lemon juice)
- Salt to taste
- Roughly chop both the fresh red chilli and the chilli padi and place them in a bowl together with the garlic and ginger.
- Add salt and vinegar or lemon juice and mix well.
- Keep it aside for 1-2 days.
- Grind semi fine.
- Store in a clean bottle and refrigerate.
- Goes well with anything.