Granola is a breakfast cereal similar to muesli, consisting of oats, nuts, dried fruits, honey or other sweeteners. It is usually baked until it is crisp and golden brown. During the baking process, the mixture is stirred to maintain a loose consistency.
When I came across this recipe and saw how easy it was to make, I just had to make it but with a few modifications of my own. It doesn’t take much time to prepare and you can have it as a breakfast cereal with milk/yogurt or as a snack. It’s vegan and gluten free too!
- Almonds – 1 cup
- Walnuts – 1 cup
- Cashews – 1 cut
- Ground flaxseed – 2 tbsp
- Shredded coconut – 1 1/2 cups
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon – 1tsp (optional)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Raisins – 1 cup
- Mini chocolate chips – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all the nuts on the baking sheet and bake them for about 10 mins.
- Remove from oven and leave it aside to cool and once cool, you can either chop them up roughly or pulse them in a food processor.
- Place chopped nuts in a large bowl and add the flaxseed, shredded coconut, cinnamon and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Whisk together the oil, vanilla essence and honey in a small bowl and pour over the dry mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Spread the granola on the baking sheet and bake for 15 mins. Remove and add the raisins and using a spatula, gently stir the granola.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15 mins or until the granola turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and the granola will be soft but will crisp up while cooling.
- Let it cool for half an hour and then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Store in an air-tight container.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your pics on Instagram and do tag @bakezbyshobz and hashtag it #bakezbyshobz