This fried tom yam bee hoon recipe is from my sister and it’s a ‘go to recipe’ for a quick and easy dish to prepare, especially when having unexpected guests over. It’s a dish we have all enjoyed tremendously, as it has the tangy taste of the tom yam paste and the bunga kantan, also known as galangal flower gives the dish the oomph it requires!
The bunga kantan is the pink lotus looking flower that you would have noticed when ordering rojak. This flower is essential in making this dish and you can be as generous as possible!
Once you try this dish, believe me…. you will keep making it again and again and rest assured next time when you make this for your guests, they are definitely going to be asking you for the recipe 😉.
- Bee Hoon – 1 pkt
- Carrot – 2 pcs, cut into thin strips
- Cabbage – 1/2 piece, cut into thin strips
- Lime – 10 pcs (extract juice)
- Fish cake (optional) – cut diagonally
- Bunga kantan – 1 stalk, cut into thin strips
- Garlic – 2 pcs, chopped
- Light soya sauce – 4 tbsp
- Oyster sauce – 2 tbsp
- Tom Yam paste – 4 tbsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Spring onion – for garnishing
- Boil some water in a pot and once the water starts bubbling, switch off the stove and add the bee hoon/rice noodles into it.
- Cover the pot and let the rice noodles cook in the hot water for about 10 mins and drain the water. Test by taking a little rice noodle and pinch it with your fingers. If breaks easily then it’s cooked. If not, you may continue keeping it in the hot water for further 5 mins. Do ensure not to over-cook the noodles. If you are not sure, you can always let it cook completely in the wok later on.
- Mix the light soya sauce, oyster sauce and the tom yam paste with 2 tbsp of water and keep it aside.
- In a large wok, heat some oil and add the garlic and saute for couple of mins.
- Add the carrot, cabbage and fish cake pieces and fry them well.
- Now add the bee hoon followed by the sauces and stir well till combined.
- Finally add the bunga kantan and let it cook for couple of mins.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with the spring onions and lime juice.