I was craving for chicken masala and I wanted it to be spicy and very “masalafied”. I love all that masala which you can just have with plain rice, bread or even with dosa.
So, when I searched the net for something good, I came across this Chettinad Chicken Masala recipe from a blog called http://www.cookingandme.com. This was the first time I stumbled upon this website and as I went thru the recipe, I kinda liked it but modified it along the way for more masala.
I think I went overboard on the masala bit but hey, no one’s complained till now and only cos I haven’t shared it with anyone…. 😂.
- Chicken – half, cut into medium sized pieces
- Onion – 1 large, chopped
- Ginger – 1 cm, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 cm, finely chopped
- Tomato – 2, chopped
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Fennel powder – 1 tsp
- Chicken masala powder – 3 heaped tbsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – fistful
- Heat oil and add the onions and curry leaves. Saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Next, add all the spices – cumin, coriander, chicken masala powder, pepper, fennel powder, chilli powder and saute for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic and saute for 5 seconds before adding the tomato. Cook until the tomatoes turn almost pulpy.
- Add the chicken to the masala mix and toss to coat well.
- Add 1 cup water and salt and cook covered for 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked and soft. Open the lid and cook further until the gravy turns thick and the masala coats the chicken.
- When the chicken pieces are ready, remove from fire.