I had to search high and low on the net to get the exact explanation for what tempeh is! So, the best explanation for those who don’t know what tempeh is, would be that it’s a protein rich soy food with a firm texture and nutty flavour and is made from fermented soybeans. Oh, and the fact that it’s a cousin of tofu explains why I just love it… ha ha 😊.
Couple of my friends whom I used to lunch regularly with, just don’t like it and when we decide to have ayam penyet (smashed chicken) for lunch, they had to be quick to see who places his or her portion of the tempeh on my plate! Though I love tempeh, having 3 pieces can be a bit too much, even for me.
- Tempeh – about 4 packets, cut into thin slices
- Red chilies – 2, thinly sliced
- Ginger – a large piece and thinly sliced
- Salt – a pinch
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – from 1/2 lemon
- Heat oil in a frying pan and deep fry the tempeh till golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and keep it aside.
- Using the same oil, saute the red chilies for about 2 mins followed by the ginger strips.
- Squeeze the lemon juice directly to the pan and add the sugar and salt. Adjust the taste accordingly.
- Now add the fried tempeh to the pan and toss until the tempeh pieces are fully coated.
- Serve with white rice.