I think apple and walnuts are a great combo and not forgetting cinnamon! Some find cinnamon a bit overpowering, but I just love it! You will not believe it, this recipe called for 4 teaspoons of cinnamon but I just used one teaspoon! And yet there were complains 🙄.
This recipe is adapted from https://www.texanerin.com/apple-muffins/. Besides reducing the cinnamon, I made other modifications as well. I did not have Greek yogurt nor plain yogurt, so I used apple sauce instead. And for the streusel toppings, I just mixed almond meal, coconut flour and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and added walnuts. If you’re not a fan of cinnamon, you may omit it altogether from the recipe.
So here’s my take on apple and walnuts muffins and hope you enjoy them! 🤗
- Almond meal – 200 gms
- Coconut flour – 28 gms
- Baking powder – 2 tsps
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ground ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Ground nutmeg – 1/2 tsp
- Eggs – 3
- Honey – 2/3 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Apple sauce – 1/2 cup
- Royal Gala Apples – 2, peeled and diced small
- Almond meal – 25 gms
- Coconut flour – 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
- Walnuts – 40 gms, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C and line the muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Prepare the streusel topping by mixing first the almond meal, coconut flour and cinnamon (if using) and lastly add the chopped walnuts and stir well. Keep this aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Next fold in the apples.
- Pour the batter into each muffin cup slightly more than 3/4 and sprinkle the streusel toppings on top of the batter.
- Bake for 5 mins at 220 degrees C and then lower the temperature to 170 degrees C and bake for 22 mins.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin tray for about 15 mins and then remove the muffins to a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container and refrigerate after 24 hrs.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your pics on Instagram and do tag @bakezbyshobz and hashtag it #bakezbyshobz