Honestly, I’m not a huge fan of salad until my sister made this amazing garden salad for my birthday and since then I have made it umpteen times!
It’s super easy to make and surprisingly, I have not made any modifications like I usually would…. ha ha. I always make this when I make my homemade pizza, using almond flour base. This pizza is so good that you will not want to make any other type of pizza base. So do stay tuned for that recipe…. 😉
The best part to this salad is that you can add whatever you want to the mix of green leaves. I usually add cherry tomatoes and feta cheese and if you want, you may add cucumber or carrot. What really gives this salad the oomph is the caramalised walnuts. So try not to skip that, as it’s too good!
- Mixed leaves – 1 packet
- Cherry tomatoes – 10, cut into halves or quarters
- Feta cheese – 1 packet, cut into cubes or crumble them
- Walnuts – 1 cup, caramalised
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Dried oregano leaves – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Balsamic vinegar – 1 tbsp
- In a medium sized non-stick skillet or wok, add the walnuts, sugar and butter.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently so that the sugar does not burn.
- Once the sugar has melted and the nuts are coated, transfer onto a sheet of parchment paper and separate the nuts immediately.
- Once the coating has hardened, you can transfer to an air tight container.
- In a large bowl, add the packet of mixed leaves, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and dried oregano leaves and toss well to combine.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator until time to serve.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil just before serving and lastly toss in the caramalised walnuts.