There’s such a huge variety in making cutlets that you’ll be literally spoilt for choice. From plain potatoes, veggies (all kinds), tuna, egg (stay tuned for recipe….), paneer and the list goes on. Initially I used to get frustrated when the cutlets used to break when frying. Well, not completely disintegrate but it kinda used to burst at the seams (lol).
So am finally getting the hang of it now and for those like me not too sure where you’ve gone wrong and want perfect cutlets, do take note that it’s probably cos the mixture is a little moist. Add a slice of bread if you think it’s not dry enough or even add breadcrumbs to it. And secondly the oil (be it deep frying or shallow frying) must be really hot, else it may disintegrate (exaggeration personified) or burst at the seams 😉.
Do stay tuned for my friend Savi’s ‘carrot beetroot cutlets’ which will be published shortly.
- Potatoes – 3 large (precooked and mashed)
- Tuna (optional) – 1 can (drain the oil/brine)
- Onions – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 2cm (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves and coriander leaves – finely chopped
- Pepper – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 1 or 2 depending on how many cutlets you get
- Bread crumbs -1 cup
- Pre-cook the potatoes and once cool, remove the skin and mash them.
- To this, add tuna (optional), finely chopped onions, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Ensure that the mixture is dry and if you feel that it is moist, you may add a slice of old bread or 2 so that it would absorb the moisture. Alternatively you may also add bread crumbs to this.
- Roll the cutlet to your desired shape and keep it aside.
- Prepare 2 separate bowls, one for the egg, which is to be beaten and the other for the bread crumbs.
- Dip the cutlets in the egg first followed by the bread crumbs.
- Heat oil a wok and wait till the oil is piping hot. This is to ensure that the cutlets does not crack. You may pan fry or deep fry them.
- Fry the cutlets till golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with chutney, tomato or chilli ketchup or have it on it’s own!