This is a very simple and easy dish to make. Matar is peas (you may use the frozen ones) and paneer is cottage cheese. There are various ways to make this dish, as you can have the base rich and creamy or just use fresh tomato paste. As my in-house Executive Chef is not particularly fond of paneer, I tried this particular version and he liked it very much. It goes very well with chapati or rotis.
- Paneer – 500 gms
- Peas – 300 gms
- Onion – 1 large (paste)
- Green chilli – 4 (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes – 4 large (paste)
- Ginger – 2 cm, (paste)
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – a pinch
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing (optional)
- Thaw the paneer completely so that it does not splutter in the oil.
- Grind the onion and ginger together, with a little water if required, to a fine paste and keep it aside. Grind the tomatoes separately.
- Heat oil in a wok and gently pan fry the paneer till it turns light brown and keep it aside.
- In the same oil (add more if required), add the onion and ginger paste and saute for couple of minutes till the raw taste goes.
- Then add the tomato paste followed by the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and the chopped green chillies.
- Fry in slow heat till the oil beings to separate.
- Add the peas to the masala and fry well.
- Then add the paneer, water and salt and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.