Oh! These are absolute delicious, wholesome muffins that are moist and so healthy, that I guarantee, you will not feel guilty at all. It’s loaded with carrots, apple, raisins, cinnamon and I just cannot reveal how many of these I have devoured! 😂
I was asked why it was called Morning Glory and a quick Google search showed, they originated at the Morning Glory Cafe in Nantucket (an island in Massachusetts, USA) long ago. This is my take on these delicious Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins and I do hope you give this recipe a try!
- Brown rice flour – 85 gm
- Potato starch – 92 gm
- Tapioca starch – 75 gm
- Brown sugar, packed – 90 gm
- Granulated sugar – 60 gm
- Ground flax seed – 35 gm
- Baking soda – 2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tsp (optional)
- Xanthan gum – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Shredded carrots – 200 gm (1 large carrot)
- Raisins (soaked in hot water and drained to rehydrate) – 1/2 cup
- Walnuts – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Unsweetened shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Apple – 1, peeled and shredded
- Unsweetened apple sauce – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 3 large
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C, and grease or line 12 muffin cups with cupcake paper liners and set that aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flax seed, baking soda, cinnamon (if using), xanthan gum and salt until well combined.
- Stir in the shredded carrots, raisins, walnuts, shredded coconut, and shredded apple.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake paper liners (you might get more, depending how full you make the cups). I filled the cups full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the muffin tins and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Once completely cool, store in an air-tight container.