Oh! These are absolute delicious, wholesome muffins that are moist and so healthy, that I guarantee, you will not feel guilty at all. It’s loaded with carrots, apple, raisins, cinnamon and I just cannot reveal how many of these I have devoured! 😂
I was asked why it was called Morning Glory and a quick Google search showed, they originated at the Morning Glory Cafe in Nantucket (an island in Massachusetts, USA) long ago. I do hope you give this recipe a try!
- Brown rice flour – 85 gm
- Sorghum flour – 92 gm
- Tapioca starch – 75 gm
- Brown sugar, packed – 90 gm
- Granulated sugar – 60 gm
- Ground flax seed – 35 gm
- Baking soda – 2 tsp
- Ground cinnamon – 2 tsp
- Xanthan gum – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Shredded carrots – 200 gm
- Raisins (soaked in hot water and drained to rehydrate) – 1/2 cup
- Walnuts (optional) – 1/2 cup, chopped
- Unsweetened shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Apple – 1, peeled, cored, and shredded
- Unsweetened apple sauce – 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 3 large
- Vanilla extract – 2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C, and grease or line 12 muffin cups with extra-large paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flax seed, baking soda, cinnamon, xanthan gum, salt until well blended.
- Stir in the shredded carrots, raisins, nuts, coconut, and shredded apple.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups (you might get more, depending how full you make the cups). I filled the cups nearly full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the muffin tins and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Once completely cool, store in an air-tight container.