This dish was contributed by my dearest friend Sushma. She’s such a good cook and her father too! Whenever he comes to Dubai, he cooks up a storm for us and as usual I have a list for him. There is one particular chicken curry dish of his which I simply love. I will try and get that for you guys and meanwhile be satisfied with Shahi Paneer 😉.
In the ingredients mentioned below, you will notice ‘kasuri methi’, which is fenugreek leaves in the dried form. This is easily available at most Indian grocery shops. On the side, adding this to certain dishes will truly enhance the taste and you can use the fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves to cook with potatoes, chicken, parathas and many more. I will be sharing recipes for some of these dishes shortly.
From Sushma: this is an easy to make dish and just requires 30 mins prep time. It’s creamy, mild and flavourful for those who cannot take excess spice.
- Paneer – 200 gm
- Tomato paste – 100 gm
- Fresh cream – 100 ml
- Ginger – 1 inch piece cut into juliennes
- Green chillies – 4 slit
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 small pieces
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cardamom – 4
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Cut the paneer into cubes and set aside. If using frozen, soak the paneer cubes in hot water till it gets soft. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaves. When they start to splutter, add the ginger juliennes and slit green chillies.
- Stir for a minute and add the tomato paste. Sprinkle asafoetida for flavor. Let the paste cook for about 5 mins.
- Add the red chilli powder and salt. Stir for a minute and add ½ cup of water and let it boil.
- Add the paneer and stir well. Cover and cook for about 5 to 7 mins. You may add more water to adjust the consistency.
- Add the fresh cream and stir well.
- Add sugar to balance the taste. Once it start simmering, add the kasoori methi and stir for a minute.
- The Shahi Paneer is ready and can be served with steamed rice, naan or rotis.
2 Comments Add yours
😋 Tastes as yummmm as it looks
LikeLiked by 1 person