This recipe is from Madu, a Sri Lankan. I had asked her to make this dish for me, as previously I had tried making it twice and it never turned out right.
Firstly Madu was not happy, cos the soya nuggets that we get here is not the same as the ones she would get in Sri Lanka. So it kinda caught her off guard…. ha ha. Apparently the ones she gets in Sri Lanka comes with the seasoning sachet inside, just like Maggie noodles. But she improvised and now she’s not happy with the colour…. ha ha ha. There is a little shop somewhere in Serangoon Road that sells Sri Lankan food stuff and now I will have to go look for it, so that Madu can cook that next time and thus make her happy 🙂
- Soya nuggets – 1 packet (250 gms)
- Onion – 1, diced
- Chilli – 2, chopped
- Garlic – 2, sliced
- Tomato – 2, chopped
- Meat Masala Powder – 3 tbsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
- Curry Leaves
- Boil water in a pan and once it starts boiling add salt and the soya nuggets.
- Let it boil for about 5 mins.
- Remove from the stove and keep it aside for about 10 mins.
- Discard the water and rinse the nuggets under running water. Do this process twice.
- After the final rinse, squeeze the water out from the nuggets (you will have to squeeze really hard).
- Heat little oil in a wok and saute the onions till brown.
- Add chilli powder and meat masala powder and fry for 2 mins.
- Add garlic and curry leaves and fry for further 2 mins.
- Add salt and tomatoes and fry till puply.
- Now add the soya chunks and about 1 cup of water. Cover and let it cook for about 5 mins.
- Finally add the coconut milk and stir well.
- Remove from stove.