This recipe is from my friend Sushma, who had previously given the recipe for Shahi Paneer. I have not tried this dish before and if I were to make it, I think I will substitute something else for the mushrooms, as I am not a huge fan of it. Perhaps some mixed veggies would be good I guess.
If you are not looking for a heavy meal, these cakes would be good to have for brunch or dinner with a salad or soup on the side. I hope you will try making this dish…..
- Potatoes – 4 big
- Plain flour – 2 tbsp
- White button mushrooms – 5 to 6, sliced
- Onion – 1 large, chopped
- Garlic – small piece, minced
- Green chilli – 2, chopped
- Black Pepper – 2 tbsp, crushed
- Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – a small bunch, chopped
- Wash the potatoes well and place them in a saucepan filled with water and bring the water to a boil.
- Potatoes should be cooked in about 15-20 mins and you can test if it’s tender by poking the potato with a fork and it should slide thru to the center quite easily.
- Drain the water and leave it aside to cool. Once cool, you may remove the skin and mash the potatoes and add 2 tbsp of plain flour together with salt and pepper.
- Mix them together and make a dough.
- Divide the dough into round balls and keep it aside.
- In a wok, heat a little oil and saute the garlic for about 2 mins.
- Add the chopped onions and green chillies and saute for about 4-5 mins and add the mushrooms and stir well.
- Add the chilli flakes, crushed black pepper and salt to taste.
- Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and transfer to a plate and let it cool.
- Once it is cool, divide into 5 portions.
- Take the potato dough and flatten it on your palm and place the mushroom filling in the center.
- Cover the mushroom filing with the potato dough (see pic below).
- Keep them in the fridge for about half an hour.
- Heat the frying pan with little oil and shallow fry the potato cake till golden brown.
- Flip the potato cake over and let the other side get golden brown as well.
- Serve warm.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your pics on Instagram and do tag @bakezbyshobz and hashtag it #bakezbyshobz