A few days before my birthday, a friend asked me what plans I had for my birthday and I told her how I couldn’t decide what kind of cake to bake and she immediately replied Kit Kat Cake!
I looked for Kit Kat cake recipes and was not happy with any as basically it was a normal butter or chocolate cake with frosting and Kit Kat chocolates to decorate the cake. That, is not a Kit Kat cake for me! So I gave it a lot of thought and looked for different ideas online and finally decided to bake a normal butter cake with chopped Kit Kat chocolate pieces inside the cake and did the frosting with Kit Kat chocolate pieces inside as well.
Be forewarned that your house will smell of the ‘branded’ chocolate when the cake is being baked. 😂 And a tip I would like to share is to keep the chopped Kit Kat chocolate in the fridge till it’s time to be mixed in the batter. Enjoy baking the cake and do let me know how it has turned out for you.😊
- Flour – 250g
- Butter – 250g (softened)
- Light brown sugar – 220 g
- Eggs – 4
- Milk – 3 tbsp (room temperature)
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp (only if using unsalted butter)
- Kit Kat chocolate – 150 g (lightly crushed, I used the chopper)
- Butter – 200 g (softened)
- Icing sugar – 200 g
- Kit Kat chocolate – 50 g (finely crushed, I used the chopper)
- Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees C and butter and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Chop the Kit Kat to bite size pieces using a chopper but not too finely and transfer to a bowl and keep it in the fridge.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with vanilla essence and milk and keep it aside and in another bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and beat well in medium speed for 4-5 minutes until pale in colour.
- Add 1/3 of the flour and beat till combined and alternate with 1/3 of the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until all the ingredients well combined.
- Finally fold in the chopped Kit Kat crumbs into the batter.
- Pour the batter equally into the prepared baking tins and bake for 40 mins or till toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the tins on a wire rack and let it cool for about 10 mins.
- Use a spatula and run it around the circumference of the tin. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting the cake off the pan. Remove the baking paper and re-invert the cake again to another wire rack so that the cake is facing right side up.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Frosting: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the Kit Kat crumbs and mix until well combined.
- Assembly: Place one cake on top of a cake board and spread slightly more than 1/4 of the frosting on top of the cake.
- Place the second cake on top of the frosting and frost the top and sides of the 2 cakes with the remaining frosting.