I prefer having French toast for breakfast if I’m planning to skip lunch, as I feel it holds my hunger a tad bit longer. And all I have to do is tell Madu the various ways I would like to try making French toast and she beats me to it!
The Nutella French toast and Cinnamon French toast are classic examples and guess she is eager to try something new anyway. Plus, with ingredients which you’ll never run out in the house, you can whisk these up in no time. Next time, why not try something different to zing up your brekkie😊?
Classic French Toast
- Eggs – 2
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (or more depending on how sweet you want it)
- Ground cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Bread – 4 slices (your choice of bread)
- In a shallow plate, beat the eggs with the cinnamon and salt.
- Add the sugar to the milk and heat it in the microwave for about 15 seconds just so the sugar will melt faster.
- Add this to the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Place your skillet over medium heat and grease it well with butter.
- Dip the bread on both sides to the egg mixture.
- Keep it a wee bit longer in the egg mixture if you like them soggy (like me 😉).
- Place the bread on the skillet and let it cook for couple of minutes (or longer if it’s soggy) till it turns brown and flip it over so that the other side gets cooked as well.
- Remove from the heat and serve. You can have it plain or with kaya, nutella, jam or maple syrup.
Nutella French Toast
- Prepare the egg mixture as above.
- Take a slice of bread and create a little pocket by slicing the bread horizontally. This is a bit dicey cos if you’re not careful you will end by tearing the bread.
- Take a spoonful of Nutella and squeeze it into the “pocket” and press it gently so that it spreads out.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture and place it on the skillet and cook for couple of minutes till it turns brown and flip over so that the other side gets cooked as well.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Alternatively just spread Nutella on 1 slice of the bread, place another slice of bread on top to make a sandwich. Dip the sandwich to the egg mixture and cook as per above.
Cinnamon French Toast
- Prepare the egg mixture as above but omit the sugar and cinnamon. Instead mix the sugar and cinnamon (make it 1/2 tsp) in a shallow bowl.
- Dip a slice of bread in the egg mixture and cook as per the above, till brown on both sides.
- Immediately roll the bread in the sugar cinnamon mix.