Hi All, this quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) recipe is from my sister, Shyamala. I have only tried it once in a salad form and liked it very much. I plan to try the below recipe and hope you will try it out as well and let me know how it goes.
I was introduced to quinoa in 2013 when I visited my uncle and aunt in Maine, USA and have since made it part of my diet. It is a “Super Food” which is gluten-free, high in protein, fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants. You can have it as a salad or as in this recipe, Quinoa Fried “Rice” style. Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup peas
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Rinse quinoa a few times in tap water.
- Bring it to boil with 2 cups of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes till it’s fluffy and cooked. Transfer to a large plate to cool.
- Mix soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
- In wok, add some olive oil and garlic. When the garlic aroma emerges, add the onions. When onion turns translucent, add the carrots, mushrooms and peas. Add 1/2 the sauce, stir, cover and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and the rest of the sauce and stir well.
- Serve warm.