If you like salmon, you must try making this dish, preferably using fresh salmon. The salmon is baked first, then mashed and made into patties. You can also use leftover salmon or canned salmon and I’m sure you can also use king fish, but I am yet to try it.
Do note that when making the patties, if you find them very moist, add more breadcrumbs and if it’s too dry, add a little extra mayo.
Honestly, these salmon patties are so good that I can’t wait to make them again😊!
Recipe adapted from Natasha’s Kitchen – https://natashaskitchen.com/salmon-cakes-recipe/
- 1 lb fresh salmon filet
- Garlic Salt (I used fresh garlic and mixed it with salt)
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion 1 cup finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs Japanese Style crumbs (I had to use a bit more)
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten (I used 1 egg)
- 3 Tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (I did not use this as I don’t have it)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat Oven to 425˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silpat. Place salmon skin-side down, brush with olive oil and season with garlic salt and black pepper. Bake uncovered for 10-15 min or just until cooked through. Remove from oven, cover with foil and rest ten minutes. Discard skin, flake salmon with forks, remove any bones, and cool to room temp.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp butter and finely diced onion and bell pepper. Saute until softened and golden (7-9 minutes) then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled flaked salmon, sautéed onion and pepper, 1 cup bread crumbs, 2 beaten eggs, 3 Tbsp mayo, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp garlic salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 cup fresh parsley. Stir to combine then form into 13-14 patties. It’s easy to portion patties using a flat ice cream scoop then pressing them into 1/3 to 1/2″ thick patties.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter in a large pan over medium heat and once butter is done sizzling, add half of the salmon cakes and sauté 3 1/2 to 4 min per side or until golden brown and cooked through. If salmon cakes brown too quickly, reduce heat. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp butter and repeat cooking remaining salmon cakes.