Aloo is potato and karela is bitter gourd. A simple recipe of my mum’s which she learned from her sister-in-law who is no longer with us.
Here again, there are many ways in which you can make this dish. This is my mum’s version and mine will be slightly different as I would add tomatoes
- Potato (aloo) – 2 medium (cut into small cubes)
- Bitter Gourd (karela) – 4 medium (cut into small cubes)
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Ground black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Saute the bitter gourd in little oil for about 10 mins.
- Add all the spices except salt and mix well for couple of minutes.
- Add the potato and stir well. Keep it covered for about 5 minutes.
- Now add the salt and continue cooking uncovered till both the bitter gourd and potato are well cooked.