This is yet another favourite curry of mine. I love all kinds of dal in almost all kinds of preparation and I love spinach. So this is a great combo which is very delicious and nutritious.
This recipe is originally from Tarla Dalal. Her recipes are so easy to follow and you truly cannot go wrong. I have made this many times and have modified the recipe a bit along the way. I hope you will give this recipe a try. 😊
- Spinach – a bunch, chopped
- Channa Dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 medium size, chopped
- Green chilli – 2, slit into half
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoedita – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a bunch
- Combine the chana dal, turmeric powder and 3/4 cup water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat a little oil in a wok on medium flame and when hot, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and roast till the mustard seeds crackle.
- Add the green chilli and onions and roast till the onions turn light brown in colour.
- Add the spinach and stir well for 1-2 mins.
- Add the cooked dal, chilli powder, salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water, mix well and let it simmer for 5-7 mins.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.