Here is a simple, quick, easy to make dish with left over veggies or if you like, you may even use frozen veggies. Typically you must add eggs when making fried rice, but as I wanted to make it vegan, I omitted eggs and added tofu instead.
Tofu is an excellent source of calcium, iron and protein and is naturally gluten free too. I love tofu and you can find my Scrambled Tofu, Tofu Curry, Tofu Sambal, BBQ Tofu in my blog and please do stay tuned for many more.
This vegan or should I call it tofu fried rice…. ha ha, really turned out better than expected and I hope you give it a try 🤗
- Rice – 1 cup, preferably leftover and I like to use basmati rice
- Onion – 1 medium, chopped
- Garlic – 1 clove, chopped
- Spinach – 1 bunch, chopped (use any kind of spinach)
- Red bell pepper – 1, diced
- Tofu – 1 block, cut into small cubes
- White pepper
- Soya Sauce – a dash, optional
- Spring onion – for garnishing, optional
- In a medium wok, heat a little oil and once hot, pan fry the tofu till golden brown.
- Remove and keep the tofu aside.
- In the same wok, add a little more oil if needed and fry the chopped onion.
- Once the onion turns translucent, add the chopped garlic and fry well.
- Next add the bell pepper and mix well.
- When the bell pepper is 3/4 cooked, add the spinach and stir well.
- Now add the cooked rice, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- Adjust the taste accordingly and finally add the fried tofu and give a good toss.
- Garnish with spring onion, if using, and serve hot.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see your pics on Instagram and do tag @bakezbyshobz and hashtag it #bakezbyshobz